As a school, we have subscribed to Spelling Shed which is a program designed to make learning spellings fun. The children have a range of competitions and challenges that they can take part in as well as games to support their learning.
Each child has been allocated a username and password.
National Curriculum spelling lists
The National Curriculum appendix for spelling provides examples of words for each pattern taught. The lists for each year group are a mixture of words children use frequently in their writing and those which they often misspell. Other words teachers feel appropriate, for example technical and subject specific vocabulary, may also be taught.
The rules and guidance shown in the appendix are intended to support the teaching of spelling. Phonic knowledge should continue to underpin spelling after key stage 1 but children also need to develop an understanding of the relationship between meaning and spelling where relevant.
- NC English Appendix 1 Spelling - Year 1.pdf
- NC English Appendix 1 Spelling - Year 2.pdf
- NC English Appendix 1 Spelling - Year 3 and 4.pdf
- NC English Appendix 1 Spelling - Year 5 and 6.pdf
Useful links and apps for Spelling:
- Nessy https://www.nessy.com/uk/
- Typing club https://www.typingclub.com/