We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
If your child is joining us from another school:
• The SENCo may visit pre-schools for children with identified SEND
• A Transition book may be made to support them to understand change
• Extra visits may be arranged
If your child is coming from another school:
• We will contact the previous school SENCo and ensure that we know about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made. Where possible, a planning meeting with parents, the child (when appropriate) and any professionals involved, will take place
• We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on to us as soon as possible
When moving classes in school:
• Information will be passed on from the old to the new class teacher in advance. IEP s will be shared with the new teacher.
• If your child would be helped by a Transition book to support them in understand changing class, then one will be made for them.
In Year 6:
• The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
• Where possible, your child will visit their new school on more than one occasion, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
• A Transition book to support understanding change may be made